"The important thing is to never stop questioning."- Albert Einstein.
Intent, Implementation and Impact of Science at Charlton- on-Otmoor
At Charlton we intent to provide a creative and thought provoking curriculum where children are given opportunities to develop skills and knowledge throughout a variety of different activities. We want children to become global citizens who show love and respect to the world around them. The curriculum gives children the opportunity to develop scientific skills throughout a range of written and practical activities, as well as acquiring the knowledge and vocabulary to understand key scientific concepts.
In order to fulfil our aims, we will:
- Use the action plan to develop specific areas
- Teachers will follow the subject overview to ensure knowledge is sequenced and all objectives are taught
- Progression map to aid sequencing and assessment
- Topic organisers used for objectives, vocabulary and scientific enquiry ideas
- All lessons will have a skill based LI
- Teachers will ensure children have the opportunity to use all scientific skills throughout each year
- A yearly science week
Charlton will ensure our science curriculum is high quality, enjoyed by children and that we are monitoring and providing further opportunities of development:
- Assessment completed by asking children to reflect on their knowledge; a formal assessment of knowledge and a skill assessment; vocabulary checks
- Pupil voice surveys
- Monitoring the subject through book checks, planning checks
- Celebrating success in achievement assemblies