Newsletter 14th February 2020
This half term we will be looking at the following value:
As I am sure you are aware, healthy diets are crucial for children's development. A balanced
diet helps your child's muscles and bones, making a happy, healthier child. We are a healthy
school and after half term we would like all children to have a healthy snack at breaktime.
The public health document attached in the newsletter gives useful guidance and practical
advice for all families.
Help your child get their five a day by including some fruit or vegetables as a snack
for their morning break.
This includes all fresh fruit and vegetables and pots or tins of fruit in fruit juice, but
not in syrup.
A portion could be:
- 1 medium sized piece of fruit, eg apple, orange, banana, pear
- 2 small fruits, eg kiwi fruits, satsumas, plums
- 1 cup of grapes, cherries or berries
- 1 large slice of pineapple or melon
- 1 cereal bowl of salad, eg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and celery
- 3 heaped tablespoons of fresh veg,eg chopped or sliced carrots, peppers or sugar-snap peas
- 3 heaped tablespoons of fruit salad (fresh or tinned in fruit juice)
At Charlton, we have teamed up with the Mental Health Support Team for Oxfordshire.
Mental health is a hugely important issue for adults and young people; having the right
support and practice in place is essential in supporting those affected. The Mental Health
Support Team will be present at the Open Morning on Friday 6th March as well as at Parents
Evening on the 17th and 18th March. More information can be found in the parent booklet
Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you all that Mrs Styler will be leaving
Charlton at the end of this academic year. Mrs Styler has been a huge part of the school for
over a decade, integral to the direction and ethos of the school. She has contributed so
much to Charlton, to the community, the families who know the school and most
importantly the children who have been fortunate enough to have been taught by her. She
will be missed by us all. Mrs Styler will be leaving Charlton to move to Stratford whereupon
we wish her all the best in her future ventures.
I wish all of you a relaxing and enjoyable half term break.
See you all on Monday 24 th February.
Healthy snacks, see the leaflet below.
The Mental Health Foundation worker will be joining us for Open morning and parents evening to meet parents.
re: Coronavirus concerns
You’re likely aware of the outbreak of novel coronavirus in China and the subsequent confirmed cases in the UK. At Charlton on Otmoor CofE School, we take the health and safety of our pupils and staff very seriously, so we’re sharing guidance from Public Health England on steps you should be taking.
There’s currently no cause for concern at the school, but we’ll keep you informed about any developments and ensure we’re keeping the school clean to prevent the spread of any virus.
Prevent the spread of infection
- Make sure you and your children follow these general principles to prevent spreading any respiratory virus:
- Wash your hands often – with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or an alcohol-based sanitiser if soap and water aren’t available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- If you feel unwell, stay at home and don’t attend work or school
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the home
If you’re worried about your symptoms, please call NHS 111 – don’t go directly to your GP or other healthcare environment.
Symptoms to look out for
If you’ve returned from the specified countries or Hubei, look out for the following symptoms:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Fever (a temperature of 38 degrees C or higher)
If you have any of these symptoms:
If it’s an emergency, call 999 and tell them which country you have returned from in the past 14 days
If you’re unwell, but it’s not an emergency, call NHS 111 and tell them which country you have returned from in the past 14 days
While you wait for further advice:
- Avoid contact with others
- Stay at home – don’t go to work or school
- Don’t travel while sick
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing, throwing tissues in the bin
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (or an alcohol-based sanitiser if soap and water aren’t available)
If you or your child have any further concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to contact the office.
The attendance this week is 98.53%.
- NEW Menu
The new menu starts on 24th February. You all received a paper copy but you can also find it on the website under the tabs called: Parents & Menu. Thank you.
- Mothers' Day
The form for Mothers' Day lunch was sent via email but if you haven't received it, it might be because it went into your Spam box (it has happened to three parents that we know of). If you still can't find it, please let Françoise know and she will be able to resend it.
Also, we realised that the "Tuna Vegetarian Option" might not be purely vegetarian, so I have added two other options on the form (baked beans or cheese) so now you have a bit more choice. If you have already sent your form and chosen "Tuna" but would like something else, please send an email to Françoise at email@example.com.
- Open Morning
Our Open Morning will take place on Friday 6th March from 9.10 till 10.00 am. Please come and see what your children have been up to.
- After School Clubs
- Monday = Multisports with Mr Wells = COST => £30 (I have set up the new 1/2 term payment on ParentPay ( 24th till 3rd April) so you will be able to pay over the holiday if you wish to do so.)
- Tuesday = Yr 1/2 & KS2 Singing Club with Mrs Roberts = COST => £30 ((I have set up the new 1/2 term payment on ParentPay ( 24th till 3rd April) so you will be able to pay over the holiday if you wish to do so.)
- There are no clubs on Wednesdays or Thursdays but the children can attend CAST.
- Friday= Street Dancing with Rattle & Roll (please don't forget to pay Rattle and Roll directly if your child is attending the club).
The Football Club will start again with Mr Griffin on Thursday 5th March for 5 sessions (I have set up the new 1/2 term payment on ParentPay ( 5th March till 2nd April) so you will be able to pay over the holiday if you wish to do so.). Please let the office know if your son/daughter is interested.
- Gardening dates
Gardening sessions on Wednesdays are starting again after half term as follows:
26.02.20 = Yr5/6
04.03.20 = FSU
11.03.20 = Yr1/2
18.03.20 = Yr3/4
25.03.20 = Yr5/6
01.04.20 = FSU
- PTA News
Rags to Riches Thank you to everyone that filled a bag or two for the Rags to Riches collection. We collected 61 bags and made £129.75. We have another collection booked for Friday 5th June – so keep collecting.
Spring Disco – Tonight 5.30pm to 7pm Tickets are on sale on the door for £4 per child, so it’s not too late if your child wants to come down for a boogie. It should be a fun evening with all the usual dancing, games, refreshments and glow sticks.
Preloved School uniform We are collecting donations of school uniform, for our next uniform sale on Friday 6th March during the Open Morning. Please bring your items to the school office for the PTA to collect, the clothes need to be in good condition, no rips or stains.
Second-hand children’s book sale We are planning a second-hand sale of children’s books, if you have any you would like to donate please bring to the office after half term.
Cherwell Community Lottery Just to remind everyone that we have a page on the Cherwell Community Lottery. It is a weekly online lottery with the draw taking place on Saturday evening at 8pm. Each ticket costs £1 per week and consists of six numbers, the more numbers you match in the draw the bigger the prize you win, top prize is £25,000. 50p will be donated to the school for each ticket bought supporting Charlton on Otmoor and a further 10p is donated to support other projects in the Cherwell are. You can sign up to do this as a one off or by a monthly direct debit. Let friends and family know too they might like to get involved. For more information or to buy tickets call 01295 533322 or visit https://www.CherwellLottery.co.uk
If you would like to speak to a committee member or find out more about the PTA please contact us via the playground, office or mailto:Charltonschoolassociation@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/groups/149362305695629/
Upcoming Events, Save the Dates
Spring Disco – Friday 14th February
World Book Day – Thursday 6th March
Uniform Sale – Friday 6th March during the open morning
Easter Fun – Friday 3rd April
- Important dates for your calendars (which can also be found on the school calendar)
- 14th February = Spring Disco
- 4th March = Yr 1/2 visit to the Science Oxford Centre (please continue to send your forms)
- 5th March = WORLD BOOK DAY (more on this later)
-6th March = Open Morning 9.10am till 10.00am
- 17th from 3.30pm till 5.30pm & 18th March from 6.00pm till 8.00 pm = PARENTS' EVENING - you will be able to book your slot between 2nd & 15th March 2020
- 19th March = Yr1/2 Multiskills Festival at the Cooper School
-20th March = Mothers' Day Service and Lunch
- 3rd April = Easter Church Service at St Mary's Church
- 22nd April = Yr 1/2 Waddesdon Visit
-28th April 2020 = Yr 3/4 visit to Stratford Upon Avon for "Getting to know Will Workshop"
- 10th/12th June 2020 = PGL Residential Trip to Liddington for the Yr5/6. The form is available on the School Life App under TRIPS. Parentpay is already available for payment. You cannot pay with Childcare Vouchers for this trip.
- 8th/9th October 2020 = Yr5/6 at Youlbury
|Be friendly, respectful and kind||Willem for always being so respectful and kind to everyone around him. A perfect role model. There is only good in Willem. What a superstar!|
|Be responsible||Mia who was nominated by Rev Lisa for being responsible and always helpful.|
|Be the best you can be||Jaxon B for really being the best he can all week. Jaxon has worked hard in every aspect of the curriculum and produced really good work.|
|FSU||Seb for really extending himself with maths this week, including working in 3s, 5s and 10s!|
|Yr 1/2||Amber for such beautiful, perfect English and Topic work. Amazing.|
|Yr 3/4||All the Yr/3/4 because they made Mrs Bending very proud at the sports' festival on Thursday. They were enthusiastic, polite and listened carefully.|
|Yr 5/6||Edward for challenging himself and working hard to understand his maths homework.|
EVENT or NEWS OUTSIDE SCHOOL:
* Oxfordshire Museums Service
* Let's talk Housing
* Mrs Caple and reflexology
As part of her studies and to obtain her qualification, Mrs Caple is offering a free 45 mins treatment to anyone available to help. If you are interested, please contact her using the details below. Thank you.