"The important thing is to never stop questioning."- Albert Einstein.
At Charlton we intend to provide a creative and thought provoking curriculum where children are given opportunities to develop skills and knowledge through a variety of activities. We will give children the opportunity to develop scientific skills in a range of written and practical activities, as well as acquiring the knowledge and vocabulary to understand key scientific concepts.
In order to fulfil our aims, we will:
- Use the action plan to develop specific areas
- Teachers will follow the subject overview to ensure knowledge is sequenced and all objectives are taught
- Skills ladders to aid planning and assessment
- Topic organisers used for objectives, vocabulary and scientific enquiry ideas
- All lessons will have a skill based LI to show working scientifically
- Teachers will ensure children have the opportunity to use scientific skills throughout each year
- A yearly science theme day to promote a love of science and curiosity
Charlton will ensure our science curriculum is high quality, enjoyed by children and that we are monitoring and providing further opportunities of development:
- Assessment completed using children’s assessment of their knowledge, a formal assessment of knowledge and a skill assessment
- Pupil voice surveys
- Monitoring the subject through book checks, planning checks
- Celebrating success in achievement assemblies